Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Dolphins, Sharks, Shamu, Oh My!


I first experienced the wonder of Sea World back in 1988 when it first opened in San Antonio. It was awesome and amazing and hey, I was 12. It was then I saw Shamu for the first time and Holy Sea-Cow this was a huge whale that performed tricks and swam with people! and splashed me! and waved with his tail! omg! Now it's 20 years after the fact and Shamu is STILL swimming in that tank and performing unbelievable tricks. That makes him a reallllly old whale. I'm not an idiot - it's not the same whale, but I tell myself it is.

We took a road trip with some good friends and their daughter Allie to Sea World for Memorial Day weekend. Sweet Gracie stayed at home. I left her in her crib and tossed in a few meat sticks and a sippy of milk, I'm sure she was fine.

It seems every other family on planet Earth thought it appropriate to enjoy the wonder Sea World this same weekend. We knew it would be crowded, but holy sea-cow it was insane. The stroller we rented saved us big time, it was a two-seater, and when Allie decided she wanted to walk, I wasted no time taking her spot. :) It should have been Jennifer that took her spot, she's due next month with their 2nd (A BOY!) and she was a major trooper walking everywhere/withstanding the heat. The shows were what saved us all, the kiddos are a little too young for most of the rides (they got one fun ride in) but the shows this place puts on are really cool. We saw two shows. One was the dolphin/beluga whale show and the other was Shamu's 'Believe'. I think every single adult in that dome was more amazed than all of the kids. We can actually comprehend the amount of skill and concentration it takes for these GINORMOUS killer whales to spin around on a platform, leap into the air, and take their trainers 'surfing' all when told by a whistle and single hand signal. Incredible!


Allie & Ava testing out the merch

Ava loo in her hat and sweet shades

Crazy guy 'fixing the plumbing problem'

The dolphin show!

Shamu ! Do YOU believe!?
Allie, Jeremy & Jennifer :)
Ava, me and Terry

Sea World was good ol' family fun! The girlies enjoyed themselves and had a blast. I'm happy they were able to spend time together. :)

And us 4 BIG kids too!

BYE BYE SEA WORLD! (as Ava goes for gold in her nose)

SEE YOU NEXT TIME!

2 comments:

Annemarie said...

Can I come on the next family trip? You guys look like you have such a great time. :)

Jenni said...

Yay! Jeremy and Jennifer and Allie and new baby! Tell them I said 'Hi'. Glad you had fun!