Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dong Dong, Someone's at the Door

I knew it wouldn't be long before I was blogging about the Olympics. No, I'm not talking about Michael Phelps. Yes, he is totally rad and wins Gold in every flipping race, and Terry and I loudly cheer him on every night. I wear my cheer outfit and bounce around my pom-pons.... uh, that's a different type of discussion for a later time.

I would rather discuss a topic a little less mainstream than Swimming and Michael Phelps.


Trampoline.


That's right. We turned on the Olympics a little bit ago and sat stunned while we watched the introduction to the 'Olympic Trampoline' event. Um... I am a little bit concerned with what head honcho decided to include this event to be shown on such world scale. It's cool and shit in your backyard if you are 13, but not so much being 30+ and jumping too and fro in front of the bazillion peeps that are watching The Games.

Perhaps the Trampoline athletes didn't quite have the talent to join their country's counterparts in the Gymnastics Floor Exercise, because clearly that's where they belong. If you are doing triple flippy flips, double tuck and rolls and 3 and a half twisty ties, (or whatever the technical names for the skills are) you belong on the floor, not leaping around on a bouncy net.
The real gymnasts on the floor should get ALL the credit. They are on the floor having to run to gain speed to catapult themselves into the air. Trampoline-ist's have it SO MUCH easier when they get that kind of height to perform their twisty ties and flippy flips, and landing them too!

My astonishment with the Trampoline Event becomes even more apparent when China readies their Trampoline-ist to take stage. Dong Dong is his name, folks. You read me right.
Dong Dong. How in the hell did he get through life with that as his name? Do Chinese children not make fun and torture their fellow classmates when they come across a totally awesome name like that? I guess Dong Dong gets the last laugh, because as of right now, he's totally dominating and double-bouncing the asses of of all the other athletes.

4 comments:

Julie said...

You crack me up! I totally agree though on that being an actual sport....does not make any sense!

Jenni said...

I want to know why golf isn't in the Olympics...but badminton is. Tell me.

~Kara~ said...

and Ping Pong? Making it sound all fabulous calling it Table Tennis..... riiiight.

Marisa said...

Your blogg is hilarious! I hope you don't mind me reading it every time I feel like I need a good giggle. Thanks for bringing humor to the Olympics!!