Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I wish I worked at Hobby Lobby

I was in the checkout line at Hobby Lobby this morning buying frames, scrapbook stuff, and everything else I could get my hands on that claimed to be 50% off. The checkout lady is talking to me, ringing me up, but not looking at me. She's staring behind me, toward the exit. Her eyes get really big and she turns around and asks her fellow checkout lady friend if she checked out a woman with a HUGE mirror. Her answer was no. Oh dear! A theft! My checkout lady proceeds to get on the intercom. I guess the code for theft at Hobby Lobby is: "Bob, come to the front door. Hurry..." Because that's what she said - in a very shh'd voice and with no authority. Bob never hurried to the front door. He lolly-gagged his ass over there. [Side note: My ears perked up. I am very nosey. I want to be involved in anything and everything that has to do with someone stealing anything and running it out to their car.] As she's making that announcement over the intercom... I was contemplating asking the sweet looking lady in line with me to watch over Ava and Grace while I ran outside to tackle the mirror-stealing-thief and heroically return with it as all of the patrons of Hobby Lobby cheered for me and held up glittery posters that read: KARA IS OUR HERO! Then I realized that lady might not be sweet and could possibly steal Ava and Grace. Then I might get in trouble and be charged with child abandonment and thrown in prison. I am way afraid of prison. I lack muscle, and hardened criminals like to cause pain to those who can't defend themselves. And that would be way more drama then a mirror being stolen. Once Bob f i n a l l y made it to the front door, my checkout lady left me standing there and walked outside with him. Yes. Walked. Not a minute goes by and they both return. The lady had loaded it up and driven off.

If I worked at Hobby Lobby, they would have one more huge mirror in their inventory. And I would fire Bob because he's slow and useless.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally picture your situation! Its hard to believe that someone would be that bold to just walk out with something so big, but people do all sorts of things that make you want to slap them across the head, and say "what were you thinking?!" I work at a Hobby Lobby as a cashier, and my biggest frustration has always been the way they didn't seem to care about shoplifters. It is much, much better now, but I've tried to voice my concerns to an assistant manager about tag switching, and all I got was a shrug of the shoulders. Almost makes me not want to do anything about it. Almost. I can't stand the thought of people trying to trick me, so if it makes me the last (or only) line of defense, I will do my best to stop those evil thieves!

Anonymous said...

I know this is an older post, but I couldn't help it. I stumbled upon this getting images for a project. I am a framer at Hobby Lobby. I am sad to hear about how they dealt with that theft. That could have been prevented if they had shouted the correct code in the phone. However, you should never go after a thief. You never know who is armed. We'd rather lose merchandise than a customer--especially one who purchases:) But, an employee could have gotten the license number by nonchalantly following them. employees are not supposed to catch shoplifters. Managers have to. You would like our manager. If you've ever scene mall cop, that is our store manager--always looking out for crooks. Plus, he's fat and funny:)
Nice post.

Anonymous said...

I to work for HL I was so discouraged about watching this dirt bag woman with her ass showing bending down picking up a bottle of purple indian ink. walking to the next isle with her boyfriend being very loud and and very friendly to one of my co-workers. And guess what? the purple indian ink wasn't in her hand any more!!!! Called our mgr but he said if I didn't see her put it in her pkt we couldn't do a thing! About a half an our later my co-worker comes to me and said look what I found She shows the label from the a bottle of purple indian ink! Right where the were standing talking to my coworker!!!!What a bunch of dirt bags. Oh and buy the way we also have a "bob" working at are store but he goes by the name Dave thanks for letting me blow of some steam.

Anonymous said...

Kara,

I hate to burst your bubble, but every retail store has a B.O.B., at least those with shopping baskets.

B-ottom O-f B-asket

There is also a woman by a particular name too at these retail stores, but she wishes to remain anonymous.

This is a warning to other employees that merchandise is being concealed from view, but still in plain view to others.

Other secure methods sometimes include letters of the alphabet or numbers to alert Cashier Managers or Assistant and Store Managers.

Also, if you ever get a chance to go into a Fry's Electronics store you will find they have their own security, which has permission by local police stations to walk outside to question customers. Most retailers don't do this.

Unknown said...

I understand too as I work for dollar general and some of the LP acronyms are B.O.B as mentioned earlier another one I see a lot at my workplace is S.A.L = Scan and Look as well as a few others