Monday, June 23, 2008

Nerd Powers Activate! Welcome to Book Club!

Oh hush, I'm not a nerd. Well ~ If reading and expanding my knowledge base makes me a nerd, then I guess I'm a big 'ol nerd! I didn't have time to read April or May's books, but I still attended the happy hour, (book club meeting) to show my support and intense involvement within the group. That's just the type of person I am. I'm very dedicated.

I did however read June's book. GOOOOOOO ME. But, I forgot to publish the post I created after I returned from happy hour (book club meeting) with the girls last week, I found it sitting there sad and embarrassed it had been stuck in draft mode for so long. I would have a picture to post... but SOMEONE wouldn't let me take one. Here you go.

Back in the day before two children under 3 years old, I read a lot. A whole lot. Now I'm lucky to read a magazine from front to back. How pathetic! Disappearing into a book makes me happy.

June's book was Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. While I was at Target trying to browse the some what cute swim suits, fun earrings and new make-up without buying any of it I found the book on the shelf, picked it up and promptly flipped it over to read the back. Ewww. I was not impressed. In fact, I firmly tossed the book in the basket, whipped the cart around, and stormed off causing Grace to grip the bar with both hands and try her best to not topple over. Poor thing. A few days later I plopped down on the couch while the girls were napping, let me rephrase that. Grace was napping. Ava was laying sideways on her bed kicking the wall and singing. I opened the book and after the first few pages, I was not sure how I ever turned my nose up at the summary I had read in the first place! Great book, I found myself running to Google things to see if they were fact or fiction... So did most of the other girls, cuz this stuff was insane!!!

The book spoke of foot binding, the old Chinese tradition where young girls - 7 or 8 - were forced to break all of their toes *except the big one* and bind them underneath the sole of their foot with bandages, in the end making their feet inches long by the time they were full grown. Yes. INCHES. EEK! No peep toe pumps for them!


I just read the intro to the July selection, and I'm off to purchase it. Don't worry, I will blab on and on about that book next month... come back then, I know the suspense is overwhelming.

p.s. go read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It's fab.

4 comments:

Annemarie said...

Was the certain someone that wouldn't let you take a picture....well, does her name start with a T, and end with an "oni"? :) I feel your pain...if I had been able to make it, we would have overpowered them together and had a pretty little picture for this post. Hee hee.

I'm going to go get the new book today too....and REALLY do my best to start reading and FINISH!! I feel like the biggest loser that I haven't read in almost 8 months!! WTH??

Beankountess said...

LOL! Yes, it was me that gave her a dirty look and said "You are really not going to take a picture here"!? The place was packed with glam-a-lots - geez mom! you are so embarrasing! ;-)

I'll let you and AP break out the tri-pod at the next one. (If it is not in the Domain). ;-)

Beankountess said...

P.S. That is 'Toni with a C' to you girls.

~Kara~ said...

Very funny Toni C! lol