Friday, October 3, 2008

You're the Devil, Curious George.

This Thursday's morning in preschool turned out to cost us over $300 and a whole helluva lot of concern. As I am driving to a friend's salon to get Grace a little snip, my cell rings. It's Ava's school. Oh no, she's sick! I begin scouting a turn-around spot in case she needs me to come get her. The school director is on the phone and I hear Ava and her teacher in the background. She isn't sick at all. She alerted her teacher that her ear hurt. After being handed the phone, Ava tells me she was pretending to be Curious George and put on a microphone headset. Since Ava didn't have a real headset at school, she used the next best thing... a large clump of blue crayon. She shoved that into her ear to act as the earpiece. GOOD TIMES! I'm in mid turn when Ava tells me "Mommy, it's not there anymore, it's gone now." Oh. Well, hmmf. Ava said her ear no longer bothered her and we decided I would pick her up after the haircut. I hang up and call her pediatrician. I explain that {3 yr. old, crayon, ear, damn it, need appnt asap} and I would be there as soon as I could.

My house, her doctor, and her school are all within 3 miles of each other. Terry was home for lunch and I barely slowed down the car enough to let Grace roll out into his arms then sped off down the street to see her pediatrician. I snapped a pic since I had my camera with me (big surprise).

The doctor determines yup, it's a crayon. Nope, can't be removed in office. Too close to eardrum. GOOD TIMES!

Off to the Ear Nose and Throat doctor. Omg! It was like I walked into a retirement village. Every single person in the office looked like warmed over death. They were all men ~ and they were all older than dirt. Tooting and burping and half of them were sleeping. We were called back and while waiting the doctor's arrival, she became a tad concerned with the look of the tools in his office. Of course I exploited her fear and snapped another pic.

Doc reiterated it was too risky to mess with it while she was awake, then scheduled a 7am appointment the next morning for a surgical removal. GOOD TIMES! Hooray for the lack of teacher supervision at school today!

Ava had her hearing tested before we left, she passed with flying crayons. Colors.

Despite me loading her in the car this morning at the butt-crack of dawn, (530a) she was excited to be somewhere new and enjoyed watching the nurses and doctors flit about getting their morning started. Ava brought her Tinkerbell purse with all of her doctor's tools. It turns out Baby needed a shot this morning.... in her cheek. Interesting.

When the wagon arrived, she hopped right in and waited patiently to be pulled away. Mommy wasn't allowed to be with her after she left the room, she was very brave.

Bye Bye Ava! *tear*

Dressed and ready to head home, but still very woozy ~ Mommy joined in the silly fun.

The doc pulled out the entire tip of a blue crayon that was lodged more than half an inch inside her ear canal. He gave it to me in a plastic container to keep. I think these pictures will serve better as a memory of this whole thing, which hopefully won't ever happen again. I think Mommy will be pre-screening future episodes of Curious George.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to tell you that I had a lump in my throat when I saw them pulling Ava away in that little red wagon!

What a day.

Why a blue crayon, though? When the obvious choice would have been red? ;)

I have a niece that did the same thing with an earring.

She put the whole thing in her ear. They were able to get out the earring in the office but, they couldn't get the earring back out and she had to have the same procedure as Ava.

As you said, good times!

Peace - Rene

Elisabeth said...

OMG - I DIE!!! I got the same lump in my throat and tear in my eye! Ava (and YOU!) are so brave!!

Jenni said...

Okay. WHY weren't you allowed to go back with her??? WTFH?

And...erm...btw...when I was a wee lass, and seat belts were just those annoying things sticking you in the ass, I would lay down in the front seat of the car, with my head in my mother's lap and she would clean out my ears with one of her (probably really dirty with old lady goop) bobby pins. Yes. She found an inch long piece of broken necklace I had lowered into my ear canal. The week before at the sitter's. It was rusty. Ah...the 70s. Thank you, Ava, for kickin' it old school.

Katie said...

Oh my, Ava was so brave. She didn't look upset at all. Grayden would have been screaming and kicking. Glad that they were able to get the crayon out of her ear. Poor girl, hope she is feeling okay.