Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Hi! Can Your Daughter Come Out and Play?"

Excuse me? Did I hear you correctly little girl? Are you standing at my front door asking if my daughter... who is barely 3... can come outside and play? Please hold while I drop to my knees and cry my eyes out.

That's kind of how the scenario played out last weekend. We have had some new neighbors across the street for a couple of months and Ava and their youngest daughter, who is in the 2nd grade, play outside all the time. Now they are such good friends that the little girl comes to our door and asks for Ava.
How. Cute. Is. That. The first time it happened I was so excited for Ava and so sad and so happy and so proud and so elated that I just stared into space smiling at this little girl on my porch. I was just about to snatch her up and give her a huge hug, then quickly suppressed my urge when Ava ran to the door screaming "IT'S MY FRIEND!! IT'S MY FRIEND!!" Off she went to play. With a friend. Not with me. Not near me. Away from me.

I might need to take something for this separation anxiety.

3 comments:

COLEEN said...

Yep, Emily hasn't let me walk her into class since the beginning of
4th grade. This weekend at the mall she & her friend walked 10 feet behind me so I wouldn't
EMBARRASS THEM!!!!!

Unknown said...

Babysitter in training. That's a very good thing, Kara.

Peace - Rene

Brett Bollman said...

Kara! This is the best blog post I've read in such a long time!! The "IT'S MY FRIEND" part is so adorable!