Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Life Alert: She's Fallen And We Can't Get Her Up

My grandma has played bridge every single month, with the same group of women, for over 45 years.

Q: What do you expect these old lady BFF's to do when one of their own - blacks out and falls out of her chair onto a hard wood floor while playing?

A: Wander around and just wait for her to wake up! And continue playing their hands after she comes to! Duh! But for some reason (and this is where I became concerned) they neglected* to call the EMS after she dropped her iced tea then fell forward, face first, out of a chair and onto the floor unconscious.

Ummm. Perhaps we should look at some facts here.

1. Everyone is over the age of 80.
2. Everyone has had a serious medical scare at one point.
3. Everyone is over the age of 80.

Numbers 1 and 3 are pretty much the solid reasons WHY YOU CALL THE EMS WHEN YOU BLACK OUT FOR NO APPARENT REASON WHATSOEVER.

After blacking out, she awoke and apologized endlessly for delaying the game (??), and they decided to finish up playing. Finish up underneath the damn card table because none of them were strong enough to lift her back into her chair!!!

And the most hilarious part of all? My grandma took pictures of the entire thing.

*A little side note to all my BFF's out there: If I ever black out while doing something as non-strenuous as holding playing cards in one hand and an iced tea in the other, you best call the EMS pronto, DO NOT pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars. Don't you dare just sit around and fan my face with spades and clubs. If I kick the bucket on your watch... I'll kick your ass later on when you meet me in Heaven.

7 comments:

Lindsay G said...

This might be the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Can we please hang out with them??!! I love that they kept playing....and under the table is even better!!

p.s. - they were probably in a different time zone.

p.s.s. - I hope the lady is doing okay!

~Kara~ said...

p.s. I'm lol. Can't wait until Lost Pines 2009! We're gonna tear it up!

Anonymous said...

I'm certainly glad that Grandmom had her camera on her... and thought to get it out and use it!
That cracks me up... old ladies are funny.
...dana

Bryan said...

WOW! glad they have a good sense of humor, but someone really should have called for help!

Elisabeth said...

Dude - funnies thing ever. I'm glad she is okay, but seriously? The sad part is that I can absolutely see some people in the "circle" doing that. So funny and wrong at the same time.

I heart your grams. I can totally tell that the "grand" apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

xoxox - Girls night soon!

Julie said...

That is the funniest thing!

Beankountess said...

I can't believe they played cards on the floor.
One of them (or all of them) needs to get the necklace to call for help or be able to call you!